You can find the case, Gran Tierra Energy Inc. in Brazil, in your course pack. Please use a question and answer format to complete this exam. Case report should be double-spaced and no more than 10 pages long (not including figures, charts, tables and references). The font size should be no smaller than 12 point.
Think about all you have learned in this class and apply it to your responses when appropriate (Guest Speakers, class cases, CAGE Framework, AAA Framework, ADDING Value Scorecard and Porter’s National Diamond Framework).
1. What is Gran Tierra’s international strategy?
2. Have Gran Tierra’s previous internationalization decisions been aligned with the firm’s strategy? Was the decision to enter Brazil aligned with the firm’s strategy?
3. Assess Gran Tierra’s performance. Does the strategy seem sound?
4. What are Gran Tierra’s firm-specific advantages? How does the firm leverage these advantages when entering new markets?
5. Identify relevant location advantages. How do these impact the internationalization of Gran Tierra? What makes Brazil attractive for Gran Tierra?
6. How different or similar is the Brazilian market compared to other host markets where Gran Tierra is already operating?
7. Discuss why Gran Tierra has chosen its current operating methods. Are these feasible if the growth opportunities in Peru become economically viable?
8. What are the main risks facing Gran Tierra?
9. What recommendations would you give to Dana Coffield, Gran Tierra’s CEO and President?